How to Completely Uninstall McAfee from your PC or Mac?
McAfee is a free antivirus designed to scan and detect malicious software, prevent virus attacking your PC and restore damaged files. The software is available for both Mac-OS and Windows systems. If you recently bought a new PC, chances are you probably have McAfee installed on your PC, and you would wish to get rid of it altogether.
Herein discussed are some of the steps you can follow to uninstall McAfee entirely from your computer.
Before we go through the antivirus removal process, it is worthy to note that you should never try to uninstall McAfee by dragging and dropping it to the Trash. However, the process works for other applications, for McAfee, the application files will remain and take up space on your hard drive if you do not follow the correct procedure. Additionally, apps like McAfee always have processes running in the background.
How to Uninstall McAfee on Mac
Assuming you know how to use the terminal utility, do the following.
- Login to your PC as an administrator.
- Open the terminal application. If you do not find it in the tray, then lookup in utilities.
- On the terminal window, type “cd/usr/local/McAfee” to go to the McAfee installation directory.
- Enter the following “./uninstallMSC.”
- Note: You will get uninstall message from McAfee.
- Next, the uninstall script will ask you for a password. Use the login password and press enter.
- Wait until you get the “uninstalled successfully” message on the terminal.
- Furthermore, the McAfee agent (cma) needs to be uninstalled.
- To go the library directory, type the following “cd/Library/McAfee/cma.”
- Enter “sudo./uninstall.sh” and enter the admin password when prompted.
Once done with the process, restart your PC and confirm if McAfee has been removed successfully. Otherwise, follow the below method.
Also, see how you can Activate McAfee at www.mcafee.com/activate using your 25 digit product key code.
How to Uninstall McAfee on Windows.
If you are a windows user, follow the below procedure to uninstall McAfee.
- Click on the windows logo on the bottom left corner of the screen.
- Click on the gear icon in the lower left side of the start window to open settings.
- Next, click on Apps. This will open up a list of currently installed applications on your computer. If you do not see the list of apps, then make sure you are on the right tab by clicking on the Apps & features in the upper-left side of the window.
- Scroll down to McAfee Total Protection and select on it.
- Expand McAfee by clicking on it.
- Below the McAfee Total Protection heading, click uninstall.
- When prompted, click uninstall, this option is available above the first uninstall option.
- Next click Yes, and this will take you to the McAfee uninstall wizard.
- Complete the uninstallation form.
- Once the uninstallation process is complete, you will be prompted to restart your PC. This will complete the process and remove McAfee from your computer completely.
In summary, to uninstall McAfee from either Mac-OS or Windows is an easy task as long as you follow the right procedures as highlighted above. However, if you do not wish to run into issues during the installation process, you need to make you are sure your PC meets the minimum requirements, and all other versions of antivirus present in your computer must be uninstalled first.